wip update: Shipwreck & Arisaig

One week later.. On one side I feel guilty for not posting for a whole week.. but on the other hand I’m enjoying my time in the sun with a nice cup of coffee and a nice cool breeze through my knit 🙂 I’ve taken this week off from doing anything and I’ve decided to take some time for myself and just relaxt, knit and play games on the playstation 3 / xbox360.

Anyway, for the few of you that are left after reading this ‘shocking’ truth about me: here’s an update on the Shipwreck shawl and the new project: Arisaig. I’ve arrived at section 7 and I’ve been adding beads to the knit like crazy 😀 I’m a poor student and after a lot of research I came to the conclusion that I just can’t afford luxurious Czech glass beads so I went for the old-skool cheapo kiddy stuff. Yea.. the ones they sell at toys ‘r us, for little girls… lol.. they’re plastic I think and a bit smaller than the pattern calls for, but since my shawls being knit with Malabrigo Lace I think I can get away with it 🙂

The beads are pretty small and vary in sizes and tho it doesn’t look that supergreat yet, I have the feeling that once it’s been blocked, they’re going to look just fine 🙂 I’m putting a lot more of them in the knit as well.. See the beads I’m using almost have no weight, they’re very light and small so I’ll need a lot more than just 5000 to get a nice weight.

For now I’m placing them every other round, and I’m thinking on making them more random the farther I go and have them form some sort of gradient, but I’ll have to see how many I’ve got left in the end.
Knitting the Shipwreck shawl is great but I have to say that after a few days it gets a little boring and I started on the backside of the Arisaig. I did some swatching in stockinette, 2x2rib and in the lace pattern and decided the pattern looked best when knitted with US0/2.0mm needles. I get this nice gauge difference and first started to calculate 28×40 to 35×60.. after a while I just decided to wing it and chose the medium pattern which will eventually grow into something between xs and s. This because I’m a fan of tight knits and tight fitting clothes. So far I’ve been right and the thing fits nicely around my back from side to side and I just hope I can fix other problems with blocking 🙂

it’s small but it might be visible, on the left: the starting of arisaig in US0/2.0mm needles, on the right: an experimental swatch in US4/3.0mm

Leave a Reply