socks

As you know I have a weird love-hate relationship with knitting socks.. on the one hand socks are very easy to knit (I’m not there yet…) and on the other hand they’re very quick projects. I’ve only been able to actually finish one pair of test socks and two attempts (attempt 1, attempt 2). I wasn’t able to finish either, both because of a stupid mistake somewhere at te beginning. I was too stupid to correct either of them and as a result the mistake taunted me.. every single row.. everytime I tried to wear it… argh.. in the end I decided that starting over was easier than fixing the problem in row 5 (toe-up) and then I lost motivation..

But today is different šŸ™‚ A few days ago I found the Scherherazade’s Slippers, which are exactly what I need in a (handknit) sock. I need it to be interesting, and I need it to be very obviously handknit. Unfortunately for me the gauge recommended for my foot size was 7st/inch but my gauge was 8,5st/inch… not willing to be discouraged I cast on merrily and decided to just knit the thing up and see what would happen.

I was knitting with the orange Malabrigo Sockyarn I had lying around because I had no idea what to do with it, (I’m not sure if I’m a *real* stasher or not, but financial limitations make me want to use every single bit of yarn I have lying around here :P) and I wanted something really nice for my new socks.. see it as a sacrifice for the chance to learn something really nice and to be able to actually knit up a pretty pair of socks… šŸ™‚

socks :)

Hell yea! it looks nice for a sock.. but there’s a problem (duh).. So I’ve read that it’s important to knit socks rather tightly because it will be more resistant to wear and tear. Obviously they will in the end be worn out at some point but it might take a bit longer (and I’m all for that). So I’m knitting this little sock with 2,5mm dpns but for some reason its still not tight.. it’s actually quite loose….

socks :)

But there’s a much bigger problem.. it stretches too far.. there’s not enough stitches on the sole making it stretch even when my foot is relaxed… (darn..) the other part, the turning of the heel was my fault entirely.. I started too early, frogged it and restarted it (again too early…) šŸ˜› so that’s when I decided a needed a little break…

socks :)

I loved everything else about the sock and the pattern, but I didn’t want to finish something that was not mistake free.. I don’t mean perfect, but I don’t want to be looking at blatant mistakes…. šŸ˜›

So I decided to set this sock aside and restart with a 2.0mm needle.

socks :)

I had kept these malabrigo sockyarns to make other projects but for some reason they never happened and I wanted something nice anyway (even tho they might not live that long..)

socks :)

But once I started knitting the actual magic started šŸ™‚ This looks much much better than the 2,5mm version. My gauge was ridiculous but I guess I can live with it šŸ™‚ (11st/inch). I cast-on 28 stitches as called for in the pattern, but I decided to increase on the sole so that I wouldn’t end up with stitches stretched out so far…I now have 38 sts on the front and 44 on the back. I might add some more but I’ll have to see if it’s really necessary..

socks :)

Leave a Reply