I present you the (I still suck at making up names) Saffron dyed merino handspun. It’s a total of 100grams of merino roving, dyed by me (see this post) and has been spun and 2-plied, resulting a good 300m of yarn for me to play with. It was my first time plying and there’s some parts that don’t have enough twist and some parts that are a bit too tight.
I’ve already told myself that the first yarns are all for practice and learning techniques. I split the roving and predrafted before spinning, then I tried some long draw spinning, but I’m not sure if it’s good to predraft the roving for longdraw spinning so I’ll have to read some more. All in all I’m fairly pleased with my second handspun 🙂
I wanted to n-ply this yarn but because of the lack of experience and my aim to get as many meters as possible I decided to split the singles and 2-ply it. I did feel there was something missing while spinning since I wasn’t quite happy with the color and the predrafting made the little color there was fade away I decided to add some glitter. I saw her do it and it looks so pretty I wanted to try it too 🙂
This picture shows clearly how some parts have not been plied properly….. 😛 (I like the part below left)
It was interesting to see how the spinning began quite thick and ended very thin, below there’s a picture of the singles wound up in a ball to separate for the plying part. The overall thing is fairly consistent, with a few (extreme) exceptions here and there, which have been masked a bit after the plying was done.
A happy little yarn 🙂
My goal for this project was to have as many meters as possible so I could actually knit something usefull. I needed something simple but good (which meant I would not be designing anything lol), but it also had to be made with as little yarn as possible.. I won’t be able to get as much from a 100 grams just yet…
That’s when I realized I don’t have any summer shrugs/ coats/ bolero’s / cardi’s… nada… So Hew it became.
The picture was made on a very rainy and sad day but when it’s sunny the colors look much more vibrant. I added some Wibra Nova white cotton on the sleeves and will make the ties and the neckline won’t be garter rib but betsy’s rose leaf lace, also in white cotton, because I just ran out of yarn while knitting the body.
The small mods are the lace neckline and the in-the-round body, and obviously the gauge as this is knit on smaller needles because of the fingering weight yarn.
I like how the yarn gives it a textured look, I just hope it doesn’t felt much 😛