They’re finally done! I started this project in July 2011, thinking I’d be smart to start the project in the summer. I finished it before this years winter so it worked out (somewhat) I guess. This project was great, but the process was horrible (in no way because of the pattern!). First I started knitting it with a 2.5mm needle, but felt like I could fit both my hands in it. It’s the first pair of mittens I’ve ever knitted, and I was afraid it’d end up being too big (and I wouldn’t have enough yarn left).
So I started over with 2.0mm needles. It was a very long and hard knit, again not because of the pattern, because the 2.0mm dpn’s I own are only 10cm long and they ended up digging in my hands constantly. I couldn’t knit for longer periods of time because of this and I ended up trying to spread out the knitting as much as I could.
They’re a bit snug around the thumb but I don’t mind because they’re toasty warm! I used the handspun singles I had left from this project and I used 1 (plus a bit) ball of drops alpaca. I think the colors look great together (if I say so myself) and I’m very happy with the knit. It’s not cold enough for me to wear them but it can’t be long now.
I’ve also been working on some other things… I’ve been busy playing with food coloring and suddenly this happened:
Such cute balls of colored yarn… I’m planning on making a thistle, but I’m working on another pattern instead of the flowers. Don’t get me wrong, I like the flowers, but I thought I might pick something a bit more geeky… I did knit a swatch just to see if the colors are okay together. The whole project is knit in the round but I knitted it ‘flat’ by using magic loop for only two repeats.