I started last year during the TdF and I might be able to finish it this summer. It took me a whole year (this seems to be a recurring theme), but I’ve learned a lot (lol I’m not even done yet). Phase one is almost completely done and Phase 2 has already started. I’m now plying the last of the handcarded peachy. I spun most of it on the wheel, but a good third of the project was spun up using my IST Crafts Russian spindle.
I started spinning with the intention to knit up a tangled yoke cardigan, but somewhere along the line I decided to knit something else. Brunhilde is exactly what I’ve been looking for. I’ve been looking for an elegant sweater with a lot of cables, but most of the projects I found called for heavier weights of yarns.
Remembering my fiasco with oranje I decided to actually make a swatch and see how it would behave. Apparently merino likes to grow and relax after a washing and I didn’t think a non-superwash yarn would like a trip in the dryer.
As you can see the swatch relaxed and stretched out quite a bit during the washing. I took the measurements from the washed and relaxed swatch and spent some time thinking about the next problem. Raglan or TTS?
It’s an important question because I love the TTS method and I love the way it looks like the pieces are sewn together. I have a problem with raglan is that it doesn’t look that good on my shoulders. Raglan makes my shoulders look chubby and like they’re drooping. They just don’t look so good as when I wear clothes that have a distinct separation between sleeve and shoulder. However this would’ve meant losing the elegant shoulder cabling.
This is what I have so far. I’m not ready to separate the sleeves just yet, but I’ll try it on first before I decide to continue or not. I truly love the pattern and I’d be really bummed to start all over again/ lose the awesome neckline to shoulder detail, but I have to be realistic as well. The problem I had with my Vaila was the raglan sleeves. I really didn’t like them.
It took most of the spring to get there but the sun is finally here! (at least for a whole week). She had quite a comeback as we went from 15C to 30C in a matter of two days. It was absurd, but enough reason for me to sit outside and to card/blend the rest of the fiber and make it ready for some spinning.
In the end I decided to spin and ply the rest on the wheel so I could just finish it in one go. It turned out to be a lot of go’s and I’m still not done plying the whole thing. The second batch is a bit more red than pinkish but I guess that’s what you get with peaches and handcards. I’m happy with the way it’s working out!