Knitting socks is amazing. At first the construction of a sock seems both difficult and easy at the same time. Sock knitting can be very easy or very complex. It can be a very quick knit, or if you’re thinking of stockings it can be quite a long project. I have 37-38 size feet, which I believe is a little smaller than average 38-39. This means that when I knit socks for myself I’m usually done in two or three days of leisure paced knitting. I haven’t knit much larger socks than size 42, which is also quite easy with a larger needle size. I like knitting socks and so I’m not really worried about wear.
I knit them a lot faster than I wear them out so there’s not much of a problem I should mention I wear them a lot and for much longer time periods than I would wear machine knit socks. So far, and I haven’t been knitting socks for that long so this might change (soon…?), I haven’t worn out any of my socks so I’m feeling very brave. Maybe this is exactly the reason why this new problem has arisen.
I’ve finished one pair of socks with handspun yarn and now I’m knitting my second pair. One of the things I’ve noticed about knitting socks and sockyarn is that the sock (and yarn) tends to relax once the FO is washed for the first time. Most of the socks I’ve knit have been knit with the same kind of yarn, so after a number of socks I was starting to understand how the socks grows after washing and in which areas.
Here you see the first finished sock after it’s first little bath. As I may have said in previous posts I’m knitting this sock for my grandfathers birthday this year. If I were to use this yarn for a bigger project I would’ve made a swatch, but since it’s just a sock I winged it. Thankfully enough it worked out perfectly and the whole sock was quite nice. I asked my dad if he would try it on and it turned out to be a great fit.
Then I gave it a wash, before knitting the second one.
I may have to explain why I did this. The pattern calls for 38 stitches for the instep and 32 for the sole. While knitting and trying it on the BF I decided it might be a better idea to leave 38 stitches on the sole because it might become too tight. My grandfather’s circulation isn’t what it’s used to be and socks that are too tight might not be the best idea. Thankfully for me I remembered this, and once I was finished weaving all the ends I decided to give it a bath before casting on for the second sock.
The sock on the picture is still wet so I couldn’t show a better picture with some one actually modeling the sock (sorry about that), but the sole turned out too be much too wide. Like 6 stitches worth of ‘too wide’.
I already started knitting the second sock but I’m still knitting the cuff so I’ll make sure to decrease the right amount stitches for the gusset so I’ll end up with 32 sole stitches. Once it’s done I’ll frog and reknit the first sock. Lesson learned 🙂